Monday, May 12, 2008

Happy Mother's Day to ME!!

Brad and I have this standing joke - I always refer to Mother's day as "Mother's Day Weekend" and he thinks it is just a day! When I saw a restaurant advertising "Mother's Day Weekend, Thursday through Sunday" I of course Laughed and had to rub it in to him!!! The joke of course is on me as there is never truly a "Break from being a mom day" but every day of the year is Mother's day as our families could never survive without us! Well Mother's day (which of course was invented by a man trying to make up for some really bad things he had done as a child) was nicer this year as Morgan is all about the parties and celebrations so she put a little pressure on Brad. It's not that Brad doesn't think I deserve a nice day flowered with gifts and such, I think he really just doesn't know how to pull that off!!:) It is not naturally in his blood as it is in mine and Morgan's to be able to throw a party and celebrate any little occasion! So I really can't blame him! But this year was a little different. He did surprise me with a beautiful charm bracelet that he picked out all by himself! It has Kolten's and Morgan's intitials on it and it has officially become my new favorite piece of jewelry (next to my wedding ring). I really was floored that he actually went shopping, picked something out (that I love!), bought it and hid it from me until Mother's day. I think I am finally rubbing off on him!!! He even got me a necklace and earrings, too! What a guy! Morgan had made some little gifts in school, and Kolten had made me something at cub scouts and they were both very excited to give them to me. I didn't think they would be able to wait until Sunday but they did ... kinda. (I already had some ideas of what Morgan was doing, because I am in her classroom everyday volunteering so I had a glimpse or two throughout the week, without her knowing of course!) But by Friday she couldn't stand it anymore and had to tell me - whisper it in my ear- as if that would somehow make it still be a secret!! She said, "I am going to tell you but you might forget by Sunday or you can just pretend you didn't know and still act surprised, okay?" "Bath salts" she whispered all excitedly! I also got a really cool recipe book made by the kindergarten children - each submitted their own (interpretation) of a recipe. Morgan put in scrambled eggs. She likes scrambled eggs and if I am just making her one, I use a little pan and just break the yolk and mix it around while I am cooking it. She described it perfectly, as she has actually helped and watched me many times. Her recipe was "Get a flat pan. Crack the egg. Smash the yolk. Flip it twice and flip it one more time. Cook it in the pan for 60 seconds." She didn't add that she puts ketchup on hers! I love the "cookbook" - it is pretty funny! Kolten made me a pencil holder from a veggie can, wrapped in contact paper which clashes with my decor and which I LOVE very much!!! It is sitting on my desk so I can see it & use it every day! I got Hank's pancakes and buttermilk syrup for breakfast which is my favorite and I even got to sleep in after Kolten and Morgan woke me up early, because they were so excited they woke up early!!! Brad fixed me a nice dinner, too and made me dutch oven peach cobbler for dessert. (mmm, Clarice!) One of my favorite parts of the day was (of course) the primary children singing in church. Okay so the songs are getting old and they could definitely sing a different one - there are others to choose from besides "Mother dear, I love you so". Oh well, it's still nice! Morgan -little miss singer- was front and center smiling and singing the whole time. Kolten (after I practically pried him from his seat to go up) tried to disappear in the back and I actually couldn't even see him from where we were sitting, but when it was over (the pain and agony of 2 whole songs!!:)) and he sat back down by me he leaned over and said "I thought I was going to have a heart attack up there" seriously! I laughed so hard and tried to remain reverent at the same time! I gave him a little squeeze and told him thanks for doing it for me. A few minutes later I asked him if his heart was doing okay and he said no, it was still beating really fast!! He is so cool - I just love that boy! He makes me laugh, even when he doesn't intentionally mean to! So it was a Great Mother's day for me and I hope for all of you mothers, aunts, and grandmas out there, too! Even if the idea of mother's day is kind of a sick joke:), I am still happy to have a great husband and 2 wonderful children who REALLY try to make it a good day for me! Now if I could just get Kolten and Morgan to understand, that yes, there really is a "kid's day" (or "son's day" or "daughter's day") as they always wish for when it's mother's day - as I have told them before, it is the other 364 days of the year!!!! I really do love being the mom!!

0 comments: