Monday, May 19, 2008

I don't have to go back to school, I'm graduating...



Morgan had her kindergarten graduation on Thursday, May 15th. For several days, Morgan, Kolten and I have been counting the days left of school and then one day after we had determined there were 7 school days left, Morgan says "except me, I don't have 7 days left of school, I only have 3, because I'm graduating on Thursday." She was under the impression that after she graduated she didn't have to go back this year. Not the case! I explained to her that she did go back, and that, no, she wouldn't be in 1st grade, she would still be in kindergarten. Then the next day she told me that after she graduated from kindergarten she would go back to kindergarten class, but that they would be doing 1st grade work until school was out! Funny! At least she didn't think she was completely done with school forever - only until 2020 and then some!! Yes, her kindergarten graduating class will be the high school graduating class of 2020! Wow! Crazy, but it will probably go by way too fast for me anyway!
I went to the school in the afternoon and did some decorating for the graduation and also helped with the refreshments - I made Brad's mom's yummy slushy punch which everyone loved, and Snickerdoodles which are Morgan's favorite cookies. They had cake and some other treats, too. Her class had "Kindertees" - t-shirts that had a self-portrait of each child on it with their names. They drew themselves on a 3x5 card and then it was transferred/silk screened onto a t-shirt. So cute! Morgan had one fat leg and we're not sure why, since there is nothing on her that is fat! I think maybe she was trying to decide whether to do pants or a dress and that's how it came out! Brad and I also got the shirts (in bigger sizes!!) and wore them proudly to graduation.
Morgan's class performed a couple of their favorite songs - the "good morning song" and the "cowboy song". Her teacher read a poem one of the student's dads wrote about the kindergarten class - it was pretty cute. I even made the poem - my name that is - since I am in the class pretty much every day, I guess he felt like he needed to include me, or maybe it just worked with the rhyme! Anyway, back to the program. After that they did a "wardrobe change" and slipped their t-shirts on and visors that their teacher made, and came back to recieve their diplomas. While the kids were doing the "wardrobe change" their teacher gave out some gifts to the parents who had helped during the year...so she calls up 4 or 5 moms and gives them each a gift bag with I don't know what in it, because I didn't get one. Then she makes this big speech about blah, blah, blah and calls me up gives me this really nice plant. Great! I love flowers! I love to look at them, smell them, have them in my yard, and eventually kill them!!:) I really wonder what was in the gift bags ....:) I really don't mean to sound ungrateful, because I really didn't expect anything, but I really wish she wouldn't have singled me out and just gave me the cheesy gift bag along with the other moms!:)
Okay so the kids come back and get their diplomas and then they all turn around and put on sunglasses (so sneakily) and they all turn back around towards us and yell "the future's so bright, I gotta wear shades!" And I think that is entirely too true!!

0 comments: