Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Fall Break, Grandma's house, the Fair, and the Desert Museum

Kolten and Morgan had a little Fall break from school, and since I had survived the snake incident, I decided we needed to do something fun to get it out of my mind. Unfortunately for us, Brad had to go to a scout training - Woodbadge- that weekend, so we were on our own. Scary. We went to my niece's baby shower and stayed the night at Grandma's house and went to the county fair the next day. Scary. The fair, not the shower or grandma's. It was exactly the way I remembered it, except I think it was more costly. We watched Beckie's cute little dance group perform, then we looked at some of the exhibits, then we rode some rides. Morgan had her little girl cousins with her to ride the fun little rides, but there wasn't anyone there to ride with Kolten, so yup, yours truly got to! I only rode the Ferris wheel and another one called The Tornado with him. Fun. We got stuck on the very top of the Ferris wheel and Kolten had his face in his jacket, hiding, mumbling something about why did I do this, I'm afraid of heights. At this point I have to refrain from rocking our seat, as flashbacks of what he did to me with the snake are going through my head. Then my maternal instincts kicked in and I decided not to. The rest of the ride was okay and he survived. The tornado made me dizzy, go figure. I guess by the name you could've seen that one coming. He did a couple of others with Morgan and she did some with her cousins and then we went to see the animals. Right as we were walking there - pretty close to the entrance - this steer comes charging out of the building, followed by a bunch of men chasing it. Whew. I have survived a boa constrictor, a tornado (ride) and a near stampede. Okay so it was only one cow, but it still could have easily trampled over one of us. It took off down the fence line of the fair but I guess it didn't ever go out in the open, in the crowds - thank goodness!
Brad got home Sunday night so Monday we decided to go to the Desert Museum together since he missed all the fun the other fall break days. We had a good time there, too and enjoyed it. It's like a museum, botanical gardens and zoo all wrapped up in one. I think I read that on the brochure. The only bad part was the snake house, there, too. Of course it was probably Kolten's favorite. I don't care if they are "safely" behind glass, I still think they could get out if they wanted to. Yuck! Other than that, it was a nice day and a nice time together. The best part of course was having Brad back home with us.

0 comments: