
I don't really have a title for this post or any time to be doing it, but I need to, so I will ignore the daunting to do list in front of me and write for a minute.
Today is my Dad's birthday. It is always a day for me to pause and reflect (and even cry a little). It's hard to believe that he has been gone from this life for over 7 years. I really miss that he isn't here being a part of my little family's life. I'm grateful I know about the Plan of Salvation or Happiness - it just helps on those harder days. I also just got back from a funeral, which caused more thinking and reflecting. The funeral was for a little boy - almost 4 - who died tragically last week, and who's name happened to be Morgan. It was definitely a very hard funeral. It was good, but really tough. Again, a testimony strengthener of the Plan. Well since it is my dad's birthday and since the little boy's name is Morgan, it had me really reflecting during the funeral. I am truly grateful to be a mom and to have a chance to raise children here on earth - for whatever time or however many Heavenly Father sees fit. I'm happy to be "just a mom".
Since these are the days leading up to the holiday that we are supposed to be celebrating LOVE, this is just a friendly reminder to share some love. This life is too short to not be in love with something or someone or hopefully many somethings and someones. My dad was a great example of love to me. He was a friend to all. Even when a friend would treat him badly or unfairly, he was still a friend. I don't think he ever held a grudge. He could and would talk to anyone and would leave having another friend - even if it was just a new acquaintance. He loved my mom, his children and his grandchildren. Because of his love we are who we are today. My love of Mexican food came from my dad. My love of the temple started with my dad's example. My love of homemade ice cream, laughter, reading the scriptures...so much came from my dad. I'm so grateful for the example he was and continues to be. When I told Morgan it was Grandpa's birthday, she asked, "do they still have birthday parties in heaven? "Yes, I am sure of it." "With balloons?" "And cake and ice cream if Grandpa has any say in the matter." "Angel Food Cake!! with spirits" - and she wasn't referring to strong drinks!! That's my girl....
Without overloading on the whole LOVE thing - which I highly recommend! - I am going to share a short LOVE list in honor of my dad's birthday and Valentine's day:
Here are THREE things I LOVE about:
My Dad:
1. I love that he wasn't afraid to show his emotions, even if it meant crying or kissing in public.
2. I love that he always wore boots, a cowboy hat and snap - up shirts.
3. I love that he loved Kolten from day one and that he got to hold him when he was sealed to us. Thanks Dad. XOXOXO
Brad:
1. I love that he helps me with my projects - from cooking to cleaning to crafting.
2. I love that he is sensitive...even if he hates that he cries easily.
3. I love that he laughs with me and not behind my back.
Kolten:
1. I love that he is sensitive about my feelings.
2. I love that he dances unashamedly in front of us.
3. I love that he makes me laugh.
Morgan:
1. I love her smiles.
2. I love to hear her sing.
3. I love that she still lets me hold her "like a baby."
Wednesday, February 11, 2009
February 11th
Posted by Brad and Alliene at 3:16 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Thanks for that Alliene. I wish Andy had met him, and that he was here to take the girls on tractor rides, out for icecream, and share his chapstick and gum with and just all those little things that we took for granted. But I am grateful for ALL the memories I have with him. Anyway, I do really appreciate your thoughts.
OK, I'm crying like a baby at 8:30 in the morning. THis keeps happening everytime I come to your blog. I'm not coming anymore, if you don't knock it off! SO SWEET! My fav memory of your dad is singing to and dancing little babies around. "Dee do dee do dee do, dee dottilee dee dee do." Do you know that song? :) And how embarassed I would get as a young girl when he would come into your house and sing to us, "Put your sweet lips, a little closer to the phone. . . " SO CUTE! And the chapstick. . . YES! IS that a Crockett man thing? Crazy! My dad is always getting out his chapstick for my girls.
Thank you for sharing this!!
Sorry, but like Anne Shirley "I prefer to make people cry"...j/k!! I am much more of a joking person, but...anyway please come back to my blog if you don't I won't have any blogger friends who aren't well, younger and you know YOUNGER!!!!!!:)
THEE song of course is one of my favorite memories...even Morgan recognized it the first time I did it to her as a baby!
Post a Comment