Sunday, April 26, 2009

Saved for something special...

A couple of weeks ago there was a HUGE, Ginormously HUGE Dust Devil (almost like a tornado!) that went through our neighborhood. Kolten had been at scouts down the road at our neighbor's (his den leader)house. I remember he came running in the house calling for me & Morgan to come quick - outside. He said there was a tornado (it really was HUGE) and wanted to show us. It was back behind our house a ways by then but it was still really HUGE - even in the distance. So you know WOW! - Cool! and that was the end of that. Fast forward to yesterday...his den leader calls me out of the blue and says "I have been meaning to tell you something wild that happened at scouts a couple of weeks ago". Argghhh...I'm thinking (I shouldn't admit this) that Kolten got in some kind of trouble or something. Anyway she proceeds to tell me about this HUGE dust devil that she noticed right after scouts was over. She was watching it out the window of her house and said she couldn't believe how (seriously) huge it was. (Sidenote: it actually demolished a barn at her grandma's house across the street.) Okay so she says she sees it coming and then she notices Kolten stopped, standing in the road watching it. Then she notices that it is headed straight for him. He isn't moving - just watching in amazement. She is getting a little freaked out and realizes she doesn't have time to run out to him, so she was just getting to the door to try to yell to him to move or run or something, when all of the sudden the dust devil turns right before it hits Kolten. It ends up going through her yard and the neighbor's yards and totally rips up their trampoline. It whipped up a heavy, steel gate her husband had been working on and throws it around causing other damage. So she tells me "your prayers were answered"...which is true, because every morning I pray for Kolten, Morgan, & Brad to be protected - kept safe. Now I know tornados or dust devils can suddenly change course, but I also know that this could've been a direct answer to my prayers. When I was talking to Kolten about it after I got off the phone with his den leader, before I said what she had said he related the same story. I don't think he realized the threat it could've been to him. He just thought it was pretty cool as he was watching it. He told me "it just turned right before it got to me". When I told him that he was being watched over and must have something important to do with his life, he turned to me all serious and said, "maybe I'm gonna be the Prophet". Okay so now I'm smiling - hiding the laughing, but smiling really HUGE!! Prophet or not (NOT) I am really grateful that Kolten was kept safe and that prayers are answered! See not all my posts are full of sarcasm...I saved this one especially for the Sabbath day! Inspiring? Maybe not. But true, yes! It'll make a great story to retell when he's a rebellious teenager and I have to remind him about the day he was saved for something special...like being the Prophet!!:) Okay so just a little sarcasm....

4 comments:

Roxy Dozier said...

It's amazing what kids aspire to be. At least he kept it realistic instead of a super hero with xray vision or something. What a great story! I hope Kolten continues to dream big and have confidence in himself. Anything is possible!

MaryAnn said...

Awesome! Make me cry! Kolten, I would gladly sustain you! :)

Brad and Alliene said...

Okay Roxy, he DIDN'T keep it realistic! Realistic would be "YM President" or something!!:) And Maryann I'm starting to think ANYTHING can make you cry!!:) But thanks to both of you for your inspiring comments. Maybe now I'll try to aspire to something, too!!

Andy and Michele said...

Wow, that really is neat! Those morning prayers are really important. We just had ours, praying that Brittlee and Andy would make it safely to and from Benson today. Thank goodness for the Gospel!