Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Kolten made the front page of the newspaper, NOT the Mayor!!



The VFW invited our cub scout troop to help with a flag retirement ceremony on Flag Day. We did it last year and so I guess they thought we were so cool they would invite us again. Or maybe they cannot find anyone else to stand out in the lovely sunshine in June near hot flaming barrels to burn flags. J/K - it is really a nice thing and a good experience for the boys. Last year it was us and a few VFW guys and one barrel and a bunch of flags. This year was a major improvement from last, as they had invited a lot more people, and the Elks lodge and others were involved, too. They had more burn barrels, an ice chest of bottled waters, a canopy for shade and the fire dept. on hand, just in case I suppose. So they had a little program, which surprisingly our little ragtag group of cub scouts sat quiet and still for. It could've been the early Sat. morning hour that made them a little somber or the fact that we were at a cemetery - don't know, but at least they were good. I of course was at my finest sporting my khaki cub scout leader shirt - I know, I know, you're wondering where you can get one, too. At least I don't have the sunshiney yellow shirt - I think this one might be a tad better! Of course one of the den leaders made sure she took a picture of Kolten and me together - looking our scouting best! It was a nice program and it made me appreciate our country and flag and those serving/fighting for us, even more. So when the newspaper came out the Wed. after flag day, lo and behold there was Kolten and the other boys on the bottom - but yes it is still the front page as Kolten was quick to point out. What a thrill for him! I, on the other hand, quickly turned to the page where the rest of the story was, frantically praying that I wasn't in one of the pictures. Whew! Luckily with my khaki I blended into the dirt background! Anyway, for once in a long while The Mayor (my brother-in-law) did not make the front page, much to his delight, and Kolten did, much to his delight!! Another example of how we start thinking differently the older we get. I really need to start thinking like a child again! I know I still act like one, but am I really thinking like one??

1 comments:

MaryAnn said...

You are so funny! (As usual). I loved your recently married with two kids perfectly cute comment. I read all these blogs and I want to throw up! These girls need a huge dose of reality. Do they ever take naps? Are their dishes done? Love Kolten's picture....and YOU in a scout shirt! I am really wondering about this whole world of scouting and how I'll fit into it as a senior citizen mother when my boy turns scouting age. He should've been first when I had some energy.
Love, me